St Luke's Anglican was the first church established in the Liscomb area. Prior to 1856, townspeople had only infrequent visits from religious leaders such as lay-reader Joseph Alexander. Marriages and baptisms waited until a trip could be made or a wandering minister arrived. Burials had to be performed immediately, and often without benefit of clergy. It was customary to bury the dead on a high point of ground near the house, marking the site with a stone.
In 1856 Henry Hemlow donated land for a church and cemetery, and a road to the church. Since most people traveled by boat in this area, the church was built close to the shore with a landing area. The church door was built on the side, facing the landing area. There was also a stream nearby called Coffee Pot Brook, allowing churchgoers to "boil the kettle" before undertaking the long row home.
The ground around the church was consecrated 28 July 1858 by Bishop Binney, ending the need to bury in local fields and clearings. The church was completed and consecrated on 10 May 1861.
In 1953, the church door was moved to the end of the church, to facilitate carrying coffins in and out. The road to the landing is now overgrown.
Many of those buried in St Luke's Cemetery can be found in our family tree pages. A few of the tombstones are pictured on here.
Guysborough County Genweb lists all the names and the inscriptions.